Improve physical coordination, social skills and confidence
Perfect for schools looking for art-enrichment programs with a creative tie-in to history, music and American culture, and at the same time reduce cliques and bullying incidents and improve students' physical coordination, social skills and confidence in a fun and safe environment.
We have partnered with schools to receive funding through Arts-in-Education, PTA, Childhood Obesity, Pepsi and more. Contact us today to develop a program based on your needs and goals.
Benefits of a School Swing Dance Program
- Teaches the art of partner dance
- Builds self-esteem, confidence, respect and tolerance
- Reduces behavior issues
- Increases social skills
- Teaches etiquette
- Teaches partnership and teamwork
- Increases decision-making ability
- Teaches cause & effect relationship
- Provides a cardiovascular workout
PROGRAMS WE'VE DONE: Elementary School
Violet Avenue Elementary School, Hyde Park, NY 2006-2010
Principal: Aviva Kafka
Objective & Result: Reduced high student harassment/bullying rate to zero in year one and continued throughout life of the program.
- Multi-year mandatory program for 4th and 5th graders
- Built into core curriculum and multi-disciplinary learning in art, history, music, physical education and performance.
- Documented on film by Children's Media Project and broadcast for childhood obesity TV commercial, "It's Your Body, Move It."
- Students performed in school assembly and participated in school dance with parents.
"We got to dance with kids in our class that we never even spoke to"
- 4th grader
PROGRAMS WE'VE DONE: High School
- Rhinebeck High School: Two-day after-school program to ready senior class to dance for their prom
- Millbrook Academy: Gym-substitution program elective
- FDR High School: Eight-week after-school and in-school physical education
- Arlington High School: Six-week after-school program
- Yorktown High School: All-day workshop for Band students, culminating in a Saturday night swing dance with the High School Band.
Don't play the video below, it's too cute ... you won't be able to stand it.
Summer camp swing dance program.
PROGRAMS WE'VE DONE: Middle School
Windham-Ashland-Jewett Central School: "Biology of Dance" Two-day swing dance program with 7th and 8th Grade biology students with instruction and testing.
YOUR PROGRAM: Any way you want it
We are happy to work with you to meet your goals, budget and objectives and provide the benefits of swing dance to your students.
- Social: Students rotate partners and dance with everyone. They learn to take care of each partner, maintain eye-contact and connection, and work as a team. This promotes respect and tolerance.
- Physical: Swing dance is a cardiovascular workout and improves balance, flexibility, coordination and endurance.
- Mental: Students learn footwork patterns, make decisions, create new moves and learn to lead and follow a partner.
- Emotional: The program builds self-esteem and confidence as students master moves they didn't think they could do.
- Cultural: Swing dance is an authentic American dance and can easily tie into history and music of the 1920-40's.
Got2Lindy school program reviews ...
"Linda and Chester turned Violet Avenue into a "swing dance school" for five years, working with all of our 4th and 5th graders through a Childhood Obesity grant, and then as a Black History project.
Their teaching had a significant impact. Every student danced with every other student. Linda and Chester emphasize taking care of your partner, and students had to interact with each other in a courteous and respectful way, using teamwork, cooperation, connection.
Our principal noted that the level of inappropriate interactions dropped to zero. Students said they loved practicing at home with their parents or grandparents and were amazed at how fun it was to swing dance."
Violet Avenue Elementary School, Poughkeepsie
"I brought Linda and Chester to my school to teach swing dance to my 7th and 8th grade science students. My idea was to use the physicality of swing dancing to reinforce the Human Body content and concepts for NYS Curriculum.
Eighty students participated and applied what they learned to complete my Biology of Dance Instruction Packet. Everybody had a blast, and were pleasantly surprised at how much fun it was.”